Introducing Burda 103 from November 2010 BurdaStyle Magazine... (in real life wear with mannequins & bed posts)
The urban thrifter in its natural environment
It's a bit blingy, and my boyfried told me a looked a little "medieval", but this dress is done. And it only took me a year. This dress was intended to be my first ever Burda magazine make, because you see it comes with one of those illustrated picture courses, and I was completely terrified of anything over a Burda one-dot rating. Terrified.
I bought the cotton velvet some time in early January last year. And then sat on it. And sat on it. Finally late last year, I decided it was time - having moved on from my multiple-dot phobia, so I bought the mesh lace stuff from a sari shop in Tooting for the yoke & also some black chiffon to back it on. And then I sat on it. And then I bought some elastic when we went to Deptford markets and some lining. And then I sat on it. And then I realised I didn't have any gold thread (I have a lot of thread - its a normal assumption not to need to buy it). And then I discovered that velvet is a serious hassle to sew. So um...I sat on it.
I then I took 4 weeks to sew it. No good excuse, I didn't even need to use the illustrated picture guide - this dress is easy! It would be perfect for a beginner project if it didn't use bloody velvet. (Topstitching the elastic had my heart in my mouth.) The good news is that I'm completely fulfilling my new years resolution of taking it easy. Go me!
Post Art-Gallering in Dulwich. It's cold folks!
I am really chuffed though with the yoke - the mesh with the chiffon underneath works quite well, I think. However, if I was doing this again I would be reinforcing that yoke seam - you have a fairly fragile fabric taking quite a lot of the weight from the velvet. I have a feeling that seam is going to give out at some point and I'm going to have to re-stitch it. Ce la vie.
At least it's done!