After a small time-out break from trouser-fitting frustations and attempting to diagnose wrinkles, I moved on to a much needed winter skirt. It's a test run for a 100% wool plaid I bought when I first started sewing, but I think its pretty wearable in its own right.
I stole some fabric meant to a shirt for the boy (it's polyster flannel ) on the basis they'll be nice 100% cotton or wool flannels coming his way. I have to say I am completely digging the flannel. It feels remarkably pyjama like, but in a good way you know?
The pattern is Simplicity 3357 - described as a "slim skirt" with "soft pleats at front waistline and back vent opening". I messed up the hemming a little so the vents are a smidgen off in length.However, I am inordinately proud of all my slip-stitching on the hem (pretty much invisible) - so I refuse to go back and fix it.I have to say, not checking hem lengths properly is becoming a bit of a habit of mine, but I really do think I've learnt my lesson on this one.
I also had to do some serious adjustments to this pattern sizewise. This pattern is clearly a size 12 before the whole vanity- resize of patterns. Because holy-moly it was small! I added on a full 8cm on the waistband, and its still a tad too tight. I also took narrow seams and slightly smaller pleats, as well as my taking up 3cm on the petite line & close to 9cm on the hem.
But how good is my matching?! The other side's not quite perfect, but I'm okay with that, because this skirt is a vast improvement- in terms of both accuracy & speed. The first time I tried to match plaid (wool A-line skirt) it took me about 5 hours, with hand tacking and everything. So glad I've moved past that!
Apologies for an extreme close-up of my tush, but after all the clover fitting dramas, the fitting on this skirt is perfection. Straight from the pattern. Love it!.
The pattern asks for a placket zip in a lapper seam. Well due to the very small seams I took, combined with a very ravelly fabric, this really didn't seam possible so I did my own thing. I'm not really fully up to the play on zips, as up to very recently I didn't own a zipper foot.( Despite stalking ebay for close to a year looking for a foot for my old elna, I was out of luck. But recently when while searching for one, I stumbled upon Sewingonline.co.uk. One normal zipper foot and one insivible zipper foot (designed to fit many older models) later, I'm a very happy lady.)
So its by no means a perfect zip. That being said, its miles better than my pre-zipper foot zips. Also, while a pain to cut out & match, the plaid is also very forgiving.
Next time round I'm thinking I'll shorten it a bit & be a bit more bold in petitifying it, especially as the wool I have is quite conservative, so it may look a little austere with the longer hemline. I also think this length can be a bit dowdy if you're not careful. I will also look to add some extra room before I cut it out. Hate to say it, but 8cm's just wasn't enough in the waist!